Ana içeriğe atla

china and usa

China said Sunday that it will not initiate a trade war with the United States, but vowed to defend its national interests in the face of growing American protectionism.
"There are no winners in a trade war, and it would bring disaster to our two countries as well as the rest of the world," Minister of Commerce Zhong Shan said at a briefing on the sidelines of China's annual parliamentary session.
"China does not wish to fight a trade war, nor will China initiate a trade war, but we can handle any challenge and will resolutely defend the interests of our country and our people," he said.
It was Beijing's latest statement on "problems in Sino-U.S. economic trade and cooperation," alluding to President Donald Trump's plan to impose heavy tariffs on imported steel and aluminum. The U.S. leader said Thursday that he was slapping tariffs of 25 percent on imported steel and 10 percent on aluminum, temporarily exempting big steel producers Canada and Mexico.


Chinese leaders have threatened in the past to retaliate against raised trade barriers, but have yet to take direct action following Trump's announcement.
Citing Chinese researchers, Zhong said the U.S. has been overstating its trade deficit with China by about 20 percent every year. He gave no details on how this figure was reached, but the U.S. and Chinese governments generally report widely differing trade figures because Beijing counts only the first port to which goods go instead of their final destination.
The U.S. reported a $375 billion deficit with China last year, so a 20 percent reduction would still be among the largest trade gaps that the U.S. has with any country.
Zhong blamed the trade imbalance in part on controls over U.S. high-tech exports to China, repeating a Chinese claim that Washington could narrow its trade deficit if it allowed China to buy more "dual use" technology such as supercomputers and advanced materials with military applications.

Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

Pakistani prime minister to head to Kabul on landmark visit

Preparing to head to Kabul, Pakistan’s prime minister reiterated on April 5 his country’s full support for Afghanistan’s efforts to revive the long-stalled peace process with the Taliban. Shahid Khaqan Abbasi’s remarks came on the eve of his key visit to Afghanistan, which could help ease tensions between the two neighbors. The visit, Abbasi’s first visit since becoming prime minister last year, followed an invitation from Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. “We stand for peace in Afghanistan,” Abbasi told a counter-terrorism conference in Islamabad. In Kabul, Abbasi is expected to discuss a range of issues, including how to facilitate talks between Kabul and the Taliban, during the day-long visit on April 6. Pakistan is under pressure from Kabul and Washington to stop offering safe havens to militants blamed for attacks in Afghanistan, a charge Islamabad denies. Pakistan also insists its influence over the Taliban has been exaggerated. Pakistan has, however, praised Ghani’s overtu...

Joint strikes in Syria draw mixed reactions from the Middle East

Saudi Arabia, a key regional ally of the West, has expressed "full" backing for the US-led strikes against Syria and other U.S. allies Jordan and Egypt called for a political solution while Iraq warned the move could give terrorism an opportunity to expand in the region. Mixed reactions came from the Middle Eastern countries following an overnight attack on the Assad regime by the U.S., British and French forces. Saudi foreign ministry blamed the government of Syrian regime leader Bashar al-Assad for the necessity of the strikes and said in a statement that the military operations came in response to "the Syrian regime's continued use of internationally prohibited chemical weapons against innocent civilians." Jordanian government spokesperson Mohammad al-Momani said in a statement: "Continued violence will only lead to more violence, conflict, fighting and displacement whose victim is the Syrian people," without referring to the daw...

N Korea ‘cautious’ in announcing stance over upcoming talks with US 12.03.2018

North Korea’s silence on its upcoming summits with the United States and South Korea is likely due to caution over organising its stance regarding the meetings, South Korea’s Ministry of Unification said on March 12. “We have not seen nor received an official response from the North Korean regime regarding the North Korea-U.S. summit,” said Baik Tae-hyun, spokesman for the ministry, in a regular press conference. “I feel they’re approaching this matter with caution and they need time to organize their stance.” North Korean media noted a visit by a senior delegation from South Korea last week but no coverage has been seen of Kim Jong Un’s invitation to meet U.S. President Donald Trump or South Korean President Moon Jae-in to discuss the future of Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons programme. The South Korean officials who carried Kim’s invitation to Washington are visiting China and Japan this week to update state heads on the talks. South Korea’s National Security Office chief Ch...