Ana içeriğe atla

Colombia right wing falls short of majority 12 03 2018

Right-wing parties opposed to a peace deal with the FARC won historic elections in Colombia on March 11 but fell short of a majority in polls that saw the former rebels enter the Congress.
The hardliners’ victory raises questions about the future of the peace agreement signed with President Juan Manuel Santos in November 2016.
Santos said the polls were “the safest, most transparent elections” in the country’s recent history, with the FARC spurning jungle warfare for politics, and the ELN - the country’s last active rebel group - observing a ceasefire.
“This is the first time in more than half a century that the FARC, instead of sabotaging the election, are taking part in it,” he said, adding that the ELN had “respected” their ceasefire.
The Centro Democratico party of ex-president and senator Alvaro Uribe, a fierce opponent of the peace agreement, polled the most votes, winning 19 seats in the Senate and 33 in the lower house.
Centrist and leftist parties also polled strongly to deprive the right of a majority.
The peace accord with the now-renamed Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guarantees their new political party 10 of the 280 seats in the new Congress, five in the Senate and five in the Chamber of Deputies.

Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

Pakistani prime minister to head to Kabul on landmark visit

Preparing to head to Kabul, Pakistan’s prime minister reiterated on April 5 his country’s full support for Afghanistan’s efforts to revive the long-stalled peace process with the Taliban. Shahid Khaqan Abbasi’s remarks came on the eve of his key visit to Afghanistan, which could help ease tensions between the two neighbors. The visit, Abbasi’s first visit since becoming prime minister last year, followed an invitation from Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. “We stand for peace in Afghanistan,” Abbasi told a counter-terrorism conference in Islamabad. In Kabul, Abbasi is expected to discuss a range of issues, including how to facilitate talks between Kabul and the Taliban, during the day-long visit on April 6. Pakistan is under pressure from Kabul and Washington to stop offering safe havens to militants blamed for attacks in Afghanistan, a charge Islamabad denies. Pakistan also insists its influence over the Taliban has been exaggerated. Pakistan has, however, praised Ghani’s overtu...

Joint strikes in Syria draw mixed reactions from the Middle East

Saudi Arabia, a key regional ally of the West, has expressed "full" backing for the US-led strikes against Syria and other U.S. allies Jordan and Egypt called for a political solution while Iraq warned the move could give terrorism an opportunity to expand in the region. Mixed reactions came from the Middle Eastern countries following an overnight attack on the Assad regime by the U.S., British and French forces. Saudi foreign ministry blamed the government of Syrian regime leader Bashar al-Assad for the necessity of the strikes and said in a statement that the military operations came in response to "the Syrian regime's continued use of internationally prohibited chemical weapons against innocent civilians." Jordanian government spokesperson Mohammad al-Momani said in a statement: "Continued violence will only lead to more violence, conflict, fighting and displacement whose victim is the Syrian people," without referring to the daw...

N Korea ‘cautious’ in announcing stance over upcoming talks with US 12.03.2018

North Korea’s silence on its upcoming summits with the United States and South Korea is likely due to caution over organising its stance regarding the meetings, South Korea’s Ministry of Unification said on March 12. “We have not seen nor received an official response from the North Korean regime regarding the North Korea-U.S. summit,” said Baik Tae-hyun, spokesman for the ministry, in a regular press conference. “I feel they’re approaching this matter with caution and they need time to organize their stance.” North Korean media noted a visit by a senior delegation from South Korea last week but no coverage has been seen of Kim Jong Un’s invitation to meet U.S. President Donald Trump or South Korean President Moon Jae-in to discuss the future of Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons programme. The South Korean officials who carried Kim’s invitation to Washington are visiting China and Japan this week to update state heads on the talks. South Korea’s National Security Office chief Ch...