Ana içeriğe atla

eu and japan



The European Union and Japan urged the United States on Saturday to grant them exemptions from metal import tariffs, with Tokyo calling for "calm-headed behavior" in a dispute that threatens to spiral into a trade war.
U.S. President Donald Trump set import tariffs on Thursday of 25 percent on steel and 10 percent on aluminum, to come into force in 15 days. But he exempted Canada and Mexico and held out the possibility of excluding other allies.
After meetings with U.S. trade envoy Robert Lighthizer in Brussels, EU and Japanese trade officials said negotiations would need to continue.
Europe's trade chief Cecilia Malmstrom described talks with Lighthizer as "frank" and said they had not brought clarity on the exemption procedure. Talks would continue next week.
"As a close security and trade partner of the US, the EU must be excluded from the announced measures," she tweeted after bilateral and trilateral meetings.
Japanese Trade Minister Hiroshige Seko said he had expressed Japanese concern to Lighthizer and warned of major market disruption.

"We call for calm-headed behavior," he told reporters.
Seko did not go into what conditions might allow Japan to evade tariffs and, asked if Lighthizer had brought up the U.S. trade deficit with Japan, Seko said no.
"He only explained the schedule and the procedures," he said.
Any Japanese response, he said, would be in line with World Trade Organization rules: "If there is a violation, then we will seek consultations," Seko said. "We will look at the impact on Japanese businesses and make a final decision."
The European Union and Japan, the United States' top economic and military ally in Asia, also reiterated that their exports were not a threat to U.S. national security, rejecting Trump's justification for imposing the tariffs.
Lighthizer did not make any immediate comment after the meetings.
The three parties did agree on joint steps to tackle global steel overcapacity and distorted market practices, including stronger rules on subsidies and more sharing of information about market abuse.

Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

Pakistani prime minister to head to Kabul on landmark visit

Preparing to head to Kabul, Pakistan’s prime minister reiterated on April 5 his country’s full support for Afghanistan’s efforts to revive the long-stalled peace process with the Taliban. Shahid Khaqan Abbasi’s remarks came on the eve of his key visit to Afghanistan, which could help ease tensions between the two neighbors. The visit, Abbasi’s first visit since becoming prime minister last year, followed an invitation from Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. “We stand for peace in Afghanistan,” Abbasi told a counter-terrorism conference in Islamabad. In Kabul, Abbasi is expected to discuss a range of issues, including how to facilitate talks between Kabul and the Taliban, during the day-long visit on April 6. Pakistan is under pressure from Kabul and Washington to stop offering safe havens to militants blamed for attacks in Afghanistan, a charge Islamabad denies. Pakistan also insists its influence over the Taliban has been exaggerated. Pakistan has, however, praised Ghani’s overtu...

Joint strikes in Syria draw mixed reactions from the Middle East

Saudi Arabia, a key regional ally of the West, has expressed "full" backing for the US-led strikes against Syria and other U.S. allies Jordan and Egypt called for a political solution while Iraq warned the move could give terrorism an opportunity to expand in the region. Mixed reactions came from the Middle Eastern countries following an overnight attack on the Assad regime by the U.S., British and French forces. Saudi foreign ministry blamed the government of Syrian regime leader Bashar al-Assad for the necessity of the strikes and said in a statement that the military operations came in response to "the Syrian regime's continued use of internationally prohibited chemical weapons against innocent civilians." Jordanian government spokesperson Mohammad al-Momani said in a statement: "Continued violence will only lead to more violence, conflict, fighting and displacement whose victim is the Syrian people," without referring to the daw...

N Korea ‘cautious’ in announcing stance over upcoming talks with US 12.03.2018

North Korea’s silence on its upcoming summits with the United States and South Korea is likely due to caution over organising its stance regarding the meetings, South Korea’s Ministry of Unification said on March 12. “We have not seen nor received an official response from the North Korean regime regarding the North Korea-U.S. summit,” said Baik Tae-hyun, spokesman for the ministry, in a regular press conference. “I feel they’re approaching this matter with caution and they need time to organize their stance.” North Korean media noted a visit by a senior delegation from South Korea last week but no coverage has been seen of Kim Jong Un’s invitation to meet U.S. President Donald Trump or South Korean President Moon Jae-in to discuss the future of Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons programme. The South Korean officials who carried Kim’s invitation to Washington are visiting China and Japan this week to update state heads on the talks. South Korea’s National Security Office chief Ch...